Gallery 109 is an established art space in Manly NSW. Our vision is to provide opportunities for contemporary artists both local and across Australia, to connect with audiences via their visual art practices.
We nurture and encourage experimentation in the artist’s field of practice and we will provide a supportive space for artists to showcase their work in a professional environment. We will assist and promote their artistic content in the form of solo or group exhibitions.
We operate on an artist run gallery (ARI) basis but we don’t receive any government funding, so we need to cover our costs by charging a fee for the hire of the gallery space. However, we do not charge any commission on the sale of artist’s work
Gallery 109 is located at 109 Sydney Road Manly, on the corner of George Street. The gallery is a 700m walk from Manly Wharf and there is a bus stop outside the gallery. Sydney Road is a main thoroughfare from Manly to the city, Chatswood and the Northern Beaches as well as having local pedestrian traffic. Parking in the immediate vicinity can be difficult but there are several public car parks in Manly. These car parks allow 2 hours of free parking during the day.
Cost of Gallery Hire
The Gallery is available for hire for a recommended period of 3-week with a 2-week minimum. The 2-week hire is $1980 including GST and if exhibiting for 3 weeks the gallery space is $2480. The gallery encourages both solo exhibitions and group exhibitions. No commission is taken on work sold by the artist.
Gallery hire includes
- Curatorial assistance to develop an exhibition layout, hanging plan and price list.
- Assistance to the artist when hanging and dismantling the show. Monday is the day allocated to delivery and set up of work. Dismantling of the exhibition occurs on the last Sunday of exhibition.
- Digital Promotion of all exhibitions occurs through the Gallery mailing list, web site and social media.
- Service of refreshments on opening night. This includes red and white wine and nibbles
- Use of Galley 109’s hanging apparatus and a limited number of plinths
- Opening Hours- It is the artists responsibility to open the gallery on weekends, however Gallery 109’s resident artist will manage the gallery from Wednesday to Friday.
The gallery opening times are
- Wednesday 2pm to 4pm
- Thursday to Friday 11.00am to 4pm
- Saturday and Sunday 11.00am to 4pm.
Exhibition Opening Night
Thursday 6pm to 8 pm or by agreement
Process for Gallery Hire
- Check gallery availability by emailing us an application.
- The application to include the completed form (attached) and links to either your website, Facebook page or Instagram account demonstrating the style of the work to be exhibited.
- The gallery will advise of acceptance and availability
- On confirmation of acceptance the artist must sign the Gallery Rental Agreement and pay a 50% deposit (non-refundable).
- 1 Month prior to exhibition pay balance amount (50%)
A complete list of artist responsibilities is included in the Gallery 109 Rental Agreement. The key responsibilities are:
- Provide text and images in advance for media release so Gallery 109 can disseminate information to promote the artist’s work through its email lists and social media.
- Consult with Gallery 109 to develop the exhibition layout and any proposed attachments to walls.
- Deliver artists work on the designated day (Mondays) and set up the exhibition. Gallery 109 will assist.
- Open and attend the gallery during the Weekend opening hours and attend the opening night.
- Provide photos of the exhibition for future use by Gallery 109 on its website.
- On completion of the exhibition (Sunday afternoon) take down all work, repair any damage in the walls, and transport any unsold works
- Gallery 109 is a smoke free gallery